Sold Out for Heaven:What does Heaven Treasure?
Â Â Matthew 6:19â€œDo not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and ruste destroy and where thieves break in and steal, 20but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Garage sales are a chance to cleanse, and a nice distraction for me today (Wrote this Saturday). Recently I heard that a family may have found pirate treasure in their attic–complete with mummified hand. Gives me chills, just thinking about it. Case in point that you cannot take the treasure with you . . . and apparently you can’t always take your hand with you either.
Sometimes we get too focused upon the clearing out of our junk and miss the second part of the verse. StoreÂ up treasures in heaven.Â What does heaven value?Â Heaven values anything that lasts for eternity, has ongoing results, and is not limited by sin. A few examples are found in Jesus’ prayer:
AÂ personal relationship with God
- We call himÂ Father
- His name is backed by the power of his holiness
- results occur on earth and in heaven when we call on his name
- He desires good things for us (Jeremiah 29:11)
- His will is trustworthy
- Obedience always works to theÂ good of his creation
- We have a sin debt we can’t pay
- He paid it for us,
- So pay the debts others who owe us
- He sacrificed a spotless lamb for us
- Delivers us from the grip of the evil one
- Shows us how to live an abundant life
Are we sold out for Heaven? WhenÂ we know how valuable the kingdom of God is, everything else is. . . well . . .rusty.
Leave a Reply