When the Devil Throws Things At You
1 Peter 5:8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
No one wants to be in the car with me. I get the craziest stuff as obstacles to dodge at 65 miles an hour. A large cooler . . . twice, a tire iron, bales of hay, a car, trash cans, deer,Â and on Wednesday it was ladders off a work truck. But, as someone reminded me yesterday, I was protected each time. So, riding in the car with me is the safest place to be!
How alert are we? Satan is bound to throw things at us when we are operating in faith! Do we take for granted the discernment of the Holy Spirit (our live in counselor), or deflate the power of temptation, or the greater power of God’s love for us? At leastÂ 4 times the enemy tries to kill Jesus before the cross, as a baby, just before he began to minister, and in the midst of aÂ mob of angry people. How was the threat dodged?
- Awareness of the Threat (Matthew 2:21-22)
- Obedience (Matthew 2)
- Knowing Scripture (Matthew 4)
- Retreating (John 11:53) * Note, he didn’t stop preaching, just didn’t do it where the threat was heightened
- Divine Intervention (John 10:39)
- Giving Jesus our anxiety (1 Peter 5:8)
- Resist by being firm in faith (1 Peter 5:9)
- Follow the example of spiritual warriorsÂ (1 Peter 5:9)